Are Replacing Your Windows Worth The Cost In Howard/Apple Valley, Ohio?
Your home will generally be your greatest financial investment. It will also require thousands of hours of your time to maintain over the years of ownership. Such a commodity should demand your attention to maintaining its value and perhaps, increasing that value. Parts of your home contribute to its aesthetic appeal, its efficient use of energy and its overall value. Windows fit perfectly into that category.
Comparing Value to Cost
This comparison is based on your circumstances. How long will you own your home? How energy efficient is your home? Do your windows contribute to the aesthetics of your neighborhood and your home? The less your windows meet these ideas, the greater your need for a window upgrade.
• Energy-Efficient Windows: These windows offer insulation that is created when two windowpanes are separated by argon, krypton or another inert gas. The gases serve as highly effective insulation.
• Double-pane Windows: These windows are also known as energy-efficient windows.
• Triple-pane Windows: Each cost about a $1 extra per window over the cost of double-pane windows.
• Energy-Star Certified Windows: The National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC) tests, certifies windows, doors, and skylights based on their energy performance ratings.
• Low-E Coated Windows: Low-E Coatings are low emissivity coatings that reflect air from the HVAC into your home's interior. It is a very thin nearly invisible layer of metal on one side of a window. It minimizes bi-directional heat transfer. Keeping the heat outside in warmer climates and prevents its escape to the outside in colder months. In all windows except triple-pane, every window layer is coated. In triple-pane windows, the two interior panes generally are a Low-E coated.
No matter what your window structure is, you can look for ways to improve it. From casement windows, bay or bow windows, garden windows, specially shaped windows, and picture windows to slider windows, awning windows, single-hung, and double-hung windows, homeowners can improve their existing window profile. The window can be improved by adding more efficiency, more or better insulation, sealing the glass frame connection, cutting protruding nails, removing peeling paint or replacing the cladding around the windows.
Compare Energy Bills
If you attempt to compare value to cost, you may encounter some difficulty. Value is in your mind and cost is very tangible in the form of dollar bills. However, value is perceived, you should begin by determining what goal you would achieve by replacing your windows. In the case of obtaining more energy-efficient windows, compare your old energy bills to your new energy bills. Over the life of home-ownership you could save thousands of dollars with an investment of a few hundred dollars.
From Double-pane to Triple-pane Windows
Going from double-pane to triple-pane windows will have an initial cost of $100 to $500 per window. The time it takes to recoup that investment maybe years. If you pay $1100 per year in energy bills and your home has 20 windows, you are reducing your energy loss considerably. With double-pane windows, the estimated energy loss is around 22%. That a loss of $11 per window annually. Triple-pane windows lose only 10% of energy per year. If your plan were to pass your home to family, you would want those triple-pane windows.
The good news is that Mount Vernon Overhead Door in Mount Vernon, Ohio are skilled window contractors and have the experience to help you with this decision. We specifically chose the best products with the best warranties to make sure our community is getting the help they deserve with choosing the right window for your home or business. We invite you to call us today for your free estimate on new windows!